Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wine and Women

My grandpa was a well travelled old man

He had seen the world , its cities and towns

And the nuggets of wisdom that he shared with me

Were worth their weight in gold, pound by pound , ounce by ounce


Drink like a man and choose your drink like one

Your drink is your lady, wisely you must choose

For she changes your character, your attitude and your traits

As long as she stays with you, your woman and your booze


Hard grained liquor, like a strong willed woman

Sets you free, keeps you up and keeps up with you

She takes your worries, she brightens up your traits

For she is one secure lady who is proud of her brew


Weak women are insecure, their company ties you down

You want to fly, she holds you down and doesnt let you shine

A spirit so similiar, that spirit killing spirit, that trait dampening spirit

From squeaky grapes and gooey pulp that spirit is called wine


Grandpa was right, I realized that night, when I sat with a glass of wine

I had had 3 sips when I looked at the clock , the time was half past nine


At half past nine I heard some one speak, I thought I lost my chips

"Promise me you wont forget me", a girly voice said, "as you forgot the last 3 sips"


That was the weak woman , my good old man, had rightly warned me against

Brimming to the hilt with her "I need you" juices and ready with her complaint


She loves me I thought, she wants me I felt, but she wants to hold me tight

I felt so handcuffed , I felt so tied , my own self giving me a fight


I took up the glass and through the clear crystal I saw the lovely wine

I smashed it on the floor and looked at the clock , the time was half past nine


I felt so good , it was half past nine, I hadn't for a minute

Let her rule me, the mean weak woman, the villaness of this sonnet.......................................

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your taste and my taste in women are quite similar :) Though I wouldn't be as heartless and cruel as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Wine, women and Passion' . This was the topic given to me at an art competition long time back.
    This poem brought back those memories.
    Well expressed, but why the extra dots?
    Sometimes a full stop is more powerful.
    Cheers
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ajay : I could do that to a glass of booze, but never to a woman

    @preeti: Thankyou Preeti..I am doing away with the dots

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do feel it is more powerful now.Of course you can use full stops where you want to--like end of para or sentence. Have you read poetry by e.e cummings? He does not use capitals and no fullstops or any punctuation. Yet some of his work is brilliant. Very hard to write without punctuation and achieve that effect which he has.

    ReplyDelete